Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stories of Bedtime

Bedtime has become such sweet time in my house. We put the boys to bed at the same time. They individually go to their rooms, brush their teeth and then get in bed and wait for me or Billy to tuck them in and say prayers. Here is a glimpse of our time before bed tonight.

Grayson has been into sleeping the opposite way in his bed. I have no idea why and there is no rhyme or reason to it. Some nights he sleeps normally and some nights he wants to move his pillow to the opposite end. There is no reason to argue the point, so we let him. Tonight he decided was an opposite night. I tucked him in tight with a blanket since the sheets and comforter are no longer effective. This boy walks to the beat of his own drum. I have no doubt that he sees things from different angles. He is officially left handed and he is my thinker. He loves to sing every night before bed. Many nights we can still hear him singing 20 minutes after we have put him to bed. It is so cute. I can not wait to see what God has planned for his life.

Gage was so cute at bedtime tonight. He told me that when he was 6, he was going to get a girlfriend and that he wanted to be a Daddy. Of course, I explained that you have to be a little older to have a girlfriend and that before you become a Daddy you need to get married. Thankfully there were no questions on how you become a daddy----whew! He just loves his Daddy and wants to be like him----and I guess he is processing what it takes to have a family. He then proceeded to tell me that he wanted to have 8 kids---all girls!!?? Then he changed it up a bit and added some more kids----and some boys. It is so cute to see him trying to figure out life in his head. Something else funny about Gage and bedtime---he likes to know what he is having for breakfast before we can shut the door. If he does not like the first choice, he will give us some other suggestions. It is so funny and we have been doing this for months. I guess it is comforting for him to know how his day is going to start the next day.


I told Gavin tonight that he was getting so big and before he knew it he would be as big as Mr. Derrick (who is his 16 year old babysitter). I asked him to promise me---when he got older, that he would still love me. He promised and then said he would even still love me when he got married. I said, "you promise?" And he stuck out his little pinkie finger and said, "Want to pinkie swear?" So we did....tears welled in my eyes----I told him, I loved him and goodnight and he said, "Mommy, when you make my lunch tomorrow, will you write me a love letter?" I, of course, said, "yes buddy" and gently shut the door.

I treasure these moments with my boys before bed. Some days bedtime can be more stressful than others, but I really try to devote one-on-one time to each of the boys at bedtime. They are all so different, but so special just the same. This is precious time that Billy and I never want to forget. We are blessed!

1 comment:

Our Life Together said...

That is just precious!!! Such precious memories for sure. Thanks for sharing.