Monday, March 16, 2009

Morning Confessions

Gavin is our early bird in the house and arises before everyone on a daily basis. If he slept well, he is the sweetest thing in the morning. If you don't know Gavin, he is a talker and it starts the moment he wakes up until the moment he goes to bed. Thoughts flow through his head all the time and many many times he shares them with whoever will listen. Some of his thoughts are his true feelings, some are made up stories, and some don't make sense at all. This morning just like every other one, he got up and came down stairs and climbed into bed with us to "snuggle". Billy and I were asleep and awoke to Gavin climbing into bed. We really don't say much because we are still trying to sleep, but Gavin takes the floor and starts talking. You really never know what is going to come out of his mouth. This morning he decided to share some secrets/deep thoughts. Billy and I laid and listened as Gavin streamed from one thought to another.

To the best of my knowledge, here are some of the things he said:
remember that Billy and I are silent through most of this....

G: Daddy, you are the best Dad ever!
G: Mommy, you are the best Mommy ever!
G: Sometimes you are not the best mom and dad ever. (ouch! no one's perfect!)
G: I tricked you last night when I got out of bed. I really did not need to go potty.
G: Gage hit me and Grayson with the Thomas the train bag.
G: Sometimes, I get up in the night and color in my room.
G: Daddy, if you water your hair, will it grow? (hehehe!)
G: Mommy, I am going to call the police on you.
Mommy speaking for the first time: Why, would you want to do that?
G: Because I had to go to bed and I could not get up.
M: God says you should mind your mommy & daddy and the police do too!

I guess I need to have a few conversations with Gavin.

  1. That I am grateful that he thinks I am the "best" (most of the time).
  2. That no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes.
  3. That it is not OK to lie.
  4. That we need to work on taddling.
  5. That coloring should only be done while we are awake.
  6. Hair does not grow by watering it. :)
  7. When and when not to call the police.
  8. That Mommy & Daddy tell him what to do...for his own benefit.

Oh, my precious Gavin. I love how much your mind works and how much it is always thinking. I know you will keep me on my toes as you grow up. I look forward to watching you grow everyday.

Blessings,

Tanni

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Must be the name...our Gavin is an early riser too. His thoughts are precious. Too cute. I love that you wrote the post...that is one of those sweet conversations you hope to remember and now you will. Looking forward to seeing you Wednesday. :)

Kimberly said...

I love this post, too.. I can so see Gavin saying some of those things, he is such a sweet boy! And I can identify with the early riser.. the only difference with ours is that he does not think it is talking unless someone talks back to him... maybe it is the age :)

Toni said...

How sweet! Thanks for sharing that-definitely have the conversation about when and when not to call the police, Lacey has a funny story about her Gavin calling 911!!