Friday, March 20, 2009

Watch it Grow

Our whole house has been excited about the season changing. Out with the old, in with the new...weather, I mean. Since we have been talking about everything growing and changing, Gavin wanted to plant something that he could watch grow. After a trip to Lowe's and the help of Mommy, he picked out some carrots and radishes to plant.


Gavin watering the dirt, hoping that someday something will pop out.

Here is all the "garb" of gardening. Gavin actually had to purchase the gloves, shovel, rake, and watering can with his own money. Now, please don't think I am a bad mom. I offered to buy him the cheaper version of the items listed, but he insisted on the "Diego" brand tools. They totalled $16, which to me is a little high priced. He was not budging and neither was I...so we compromised. He had to buy them with his "own" money from his bank. I gave him a loan while we were at Lowe's and he had to pay me back when we got home. You gotta start somewhere, right?

More water

Only 9 days later, the radishes started to grow. I wish I could have captured Gavin's expression when he walked out to water his "dirt" and realized that something had happened. I am excited to have radishes. I am probably the only one in the house that will eat them, but it will still save us at the store since I buy them a couple of times a month.
I kind-of like the idea of having a garden. Maybe this is the start of a new adventure. :)
Blessings,
Tanni

3 comments:

THE PETERSONS said...

That looks like so much fun for the little guys!

Lacey said...

Awww...I LOVE to Garden. I just helped my neighbor make hers. This is our first house without a big enough yard for a real garden...so we have to be creative. But we did plant Okra, jalapenos, tomatoes, an herb garden, and a kumquat tree. The kids LOVE watering them every day and we are having fun watching them grow. We are doing tomatoes upside down in a topsy turvy this year..they are a fun to watch. Your Gavin and My Gavin sound a LOT alike. :)

Lisa said...

You're not a bad mom! I did a very similar lesson with Ella and the movies Space Buddies. We planted basil and cilantro today. Maybe we can swap if they come in-Brian loves radishes.