Thursday, December 18, 2008

Peppermint Pretzel Candy

I am far from Betty Crocker, but this year for some reason, I am trying new sweet/treat recipes. I got this recipe from my blog friend, Lacey. Thanks Lacey for sharing your recipe and your blog with me. It has been a huge success with my friends.

Gavin was my little helper through this project. Notice he is holding the candy cane upside down. It is now a "J" for Jesus. We have been reading and watching the Legend of The Candy Cane. It talks about the significance of the the candy cane and a Shepard's staff and also the letter "J" for Jesus.

Here are the candy cane's broken up.


Here is the best part...Gavin got to smash the candy cane's into small pieces with a hammer. I found the smallest hammer I could find and let him do his thing. Honestly, I was a little scared, but he was nice and gentle. I think he was so surprised that I was letting him bang anything with a hammer....in the house. This is definitely baking with a boy flair. He loved every minute of it.

Gavin stirring the pot of white chocolate.


Doesn't look like much, yet!


The recipe was not lying when it says it makes 80 pieces. Be ready to spread out.


Finished product and very yummy! Can you tell I got a new camera? I guess I should thank Lacey again because she helped me decide on which one to get. Thanks again Lacey! :) Since I have made these, I have had 3 people ask me for the recipe so I thought I would share it here....just in case you were interested. :)
PEPPERMINT-COATED PRETZELS
1 (16-ounce) package pretzel nuggets ( I used Snyders of Hanover sourdough nuggets)
2 (16-ounce) packages of vanilla bark coating squares
2 cups (12-ounce package) white chocolate morsels
1 (4-ounce) package white chocolate baking/candy bar, broken into pieces (I used cookies and cream bar)
1 (16-ounce) package hard peppermint candies, finely crushed and divided (about 2 cups) (I used candy canes because I could not find the small peppermints)
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
1.Combine first 4 ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on low until melted.
2.Stir and add 1 ¼ cups crushed peppermint candies and peppermint extract, stirring well to coat.
3.Drop pretzel mixture by heaping tablespoons onto wax paper.
Sprinkle remaining ¾ cup crushed peppermint candies evenly on pieces before they set. Let stand until firm.
Makes 4 ½ pounds or about 80 pieces.
Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Glad you liked them Tanni....and i've known you for YEARS...I think I qualify as more than a blog friend. ;) Hope you guys have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!