Friday, October 17, 2008

Reflection

We had our annual appointment for family pictures on Friday. I thought it would be a great idea to meet at our church - Woodlands Church - Fellowship of The Woodlands Campus. We have been members there since we moved to The Woodlands and they have a beautiful plaza with several water features, benches, & foliage. A little before we arrived, I received a call from Mackenzie, the photographer, saying that something really big was going on at the church and there were lots of helicopters, cars & people. She said it looked like it might be a funeral...and it was. Out of respect for what was going on, our plans of taking pictures in the plaza, immediately changed. We stayed on the out skirts of the church away from the service and tried to remain as low key as possible (as much as you can with 3 boys in tow). We soon realized that it was also lawn maintenance day...which creates a unwanted distraction when you are trying to take pictures. When we finally found a place where we thought we could get some good pictures, it was in the grass...which it typically not a bad thing, but this grass was in need of some maintenance (it was tall), it was wet and a little muddy from all the rain. The boys had a great time running up the wet hill, but all ended up with wet shoes and pants. Oh, well! Nearing the end of our time, we ended up in the playground area. The boys had fun playing and hopefully Mackenzie got some good shots.

As I reflect on the day, I realize that I was so caught up in my own task of getting family pictures taken (self absorbed) that I did not take time to pray for the families grieving their loved one. My family pictures seem so meaningless in the big scheme of things. After the crazy morning that we had, we went to lunch and I realized what had taken place. I was pretty disappointed in myself. I was respectful of what was going on at the church, but so consumed with my own situation that I did not take time to love others through prayer. I know that I am not always like that, but I wanted to share this because it is real. I am not perfect, just forgiven in Jesus Christ.

Please take a moment to say a prayer for the families who lost their loved ones. There was a local helicopter crash earlier in the week and 2 people were killed. It was a tragic loss and my heart goes out to these families. Here is a link to the news story.
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/national-111/1223917770114780.xml&storylist=national

Life it too short not to love others.

Proverbs 3:3
Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them on your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.

Blessings,
Tanni

No comments: