Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Calm After the Storm





This morning was the first day that all the kiddos were in school at the same time (Gage & Grayson missed their first official day). I prepared to the best of my ability to have everything go as smoothly as possible, but if you are guessing....it was a little chaotic. I pre-picked their clothes, made their lunches, labeled everything, had nap sacks sitting by the door, and had backpacks and lunch boxes ready to be filled. Do you know that I used 12 baggies? Bad Mama...I will work on better system so I am not using so many baggies. Anyway...what could go wrong? Well, it started with me forgetting to set out everyone's shoes. Gage did not like his shoes, Grayson wanted to wear Gage's shoes and Gavin did not want to put on his shoes. Within 20 seconds everyone was screaming, including myself. Gage ended up in time out for throwing a fit. Billy tried to help by getting the other kids in the car while Gage was in time out...which made Gage throw a bigger fit. I still needed to take a picture (for my blog, of course) so Billy had to bring the kids back in the house....which made them scream again. :) Are you getting the picture? Pure chaos! :) We did finally get everyone in the car and I was off to the school. Once I arrived, I had to unload...3 kids, 3 backpacks, 3 lunch boxes & 2 nap sacks. As we made our way down the hall, Gage screamed every time we saw the snack baskets (which were outside of every door of every classroom) until we made to his class. After unloading all the kids belongings, I walked out the door of the twins classroom and literally sighed with relief. I did it!


I drove home in amazement. I never thought such a small task could require so much effort. I know that each time we prepare for school and accomplish the goal of getting there....the task will become easier, but I wish I could skip the hard stuff!


When I got home and opened the door, I heard a refreshing silence. I am not sure if I have ever been in my house alone. I did not know it could feel this good. I did not do anything exciting. I caught up on some e-mail, went and worked out, took a shower and ate lunch. But it was all done in silence. As I was making my lunch, I walked across the floor and my foot stuck on the tile. I smiled because it reminded me of another screaming fit that happened in the morning. Grayson had slung some medicine out of my hand because he did not want to take it...and it evidently landed on the floor. I smiled because I was refreshed and could now laugh at the chaos from the morning. I made it through the morning to have some peaceful silence. It was all worth it because having a little silence made me appreciate my kids.


I could not wait to pick the kids up and see how their day was. I was ready to embrace the joys and challenges of picking up 3 pre-schoolers from school because I was refreshed. They were all excited to see me and they all had a great time at school. Mission accomplished.


Moral of the story...take a little time for yourself. It will make you a better mother and appreciate your kids more.


Blessings,
Tanni

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am so excited they had a good first day! I thought about you yesterday and was hoping the little boys were well enough to go this week. Tomorrow while they are at school you should go out for lunch and a pedicure (wish I could be there to go with you!).

Ashley McWhorter said...

It was good to see you at church Sat. night. Hope you are doing well. You're boys are precious!

Ashley McWhorter said...

Oh...I meant to say something about the baggies. I solved that problem by buying the girls these "divided circle lunch containers". They are by the sippy cups and stuff in Walmart. They have 3 "slots" for their whole lunch and have a lid that just pops on. Soooooo easy. Just throw it in the dish washer when they bring it home. The teachers also love it b/c they said it makes life easier on them by not having to open all these baggies for the little ones. Anyway, just a little FYI from one mommy to another. :)

Mike and Jess Richey said...

I found you! It was great chatting with you last night! Hope to see you again next time! Jess Richey