Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Ride

It has been a little over a week since I posted about Pastor Kerry's challenge of being silence with God. I thought I would follow up to let you know that I have completed the challenge and that I will try to incorporate into my daily life going forward. To be completely honest, I did miss one day, but I just started again the next day.

What have I learned from this experience? I have learned that our brains are like computers...and just like computers they need to be rebooted (spiritually). When I first started the quite time, it took a long time for my brain to shut down and fully take in the silence. By day 5 or 6, I could feel myself shut down much easier. Back to the example of the computer...the more applications you have open, the longer it takes to shut down. Imagine God as the operating system of our brain. The more applications we have running, the more bogged down the operating system gets. It is harder for God to work in our lives if we stay bogged down all the time. Over a week span, I was able to notice that my brain needed to reboot every day and allow God to be apart of it.

Did I see a change in myself over this past week? Absolutely! I noticed that I was more patient with my children and my husband. And that every day I wanted to spend more time with God. Also, that I was praying passionately for myself and other people in my life.

I do wonder, however; if I will ever get it all together at the same time. This week, I really focused on God and my quiet time, but somehow I did not work out or eat that great. I know that I am a work in process and that if I continue through this process, God will help me work to be more balanced. I am so grateful that our God is a gracious and loving God. I imagine Him looking down on me like a child trying to learn to ride a bike. I keep falling, but I get up and try again. I may not ride my bike very well, but the fact that I keep trying is a success in itself. As a parent, doesn't that make you so happy to see your child try again? I think God is the same way and I am so grateful for that.

I am a work in progress. I don't have it all together, but I have a loving God that will always be there to help me back up and encourage me to get back on the bike (of life).

If you have not spent anytime with God lately, I encourage you to just meet Him in you thoughts. Allow Him to help you ride your bike.

Blessings,
Tanni

No comments: